Wednesday, July 20, 2011

greenville - july 2011

So last fall I was walking around Greenville looking for old buildings to photograph and use for backdrops.  I am peeking in a window when I hear this guy behind me yell "hey man, do you have some change to spare so I can get something to eat". I am not one to carry around much cash but I had a couple of bucks in my wallet so I gave it to him.  As he started pedaling off, I realized something.  He was pedaling with one leg...  Of course, here I am with my M8 around my neck and I absolutely missed the "decisive moment".  I struggled with this for some time.  As much as I wanted the photo, I kept asking myself how could I have asked him for a photo without disrespecting/insulting him.

Since that time I have decided that if I ever saw him again I would approach him, talk to him, try to learn a little about him, see if he needed some money to get something to eat and ask for that picture.  I am now a firm believer that both the giver and receiver can be blessed if it is handled in the correct way.  I definitely use that approach with my street photography for certain situations such as this.  Unfortunately, every time I have seen him as I was driving through downtown, I didn't have my M8 with me.  That is until tonight...  Tyler and I were passing through downtown on our way to scout some photo locations on the east side of Greenville.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the gentleman sitting beside his bike at the local Super Plaza.  My heart started racing because I knew that I couldn't let this opportunity pass without circling the block and stopping.  The reality of stopping and talking to a stranger, ultimately asking them to allow you to take a picture, makes me very nervous.  It is amazing how the adrenaline starts flowing in your body as you are approaching the stranger.  

I approached him and asked him how he was doing.  I told him the story of how I first met him and how I still occasionally see him around the town.  We talked for a little bit and exchanged names.  He asked me to guess his age and I came pretty close (missed it by 2 years).  He was very gracious and let me take the pictures.  Of course the lighting was getting very low, as darkness was approaching, and I was shaking because of the rush of the moment.  But I think I still captured the moment and you can see a man who has lived through his own set of hardships (some more visible than others).  I showed him the product on the screen and let him know that his facial features are perfect for street photography.  I shook his hand, gave him a little money to help him along and left.  What a great experience!  Every time that I meet/photograph someone who is making his/her way through hard times, I feel fortunate.  Fortunate of all my current blessings and fortunate that I took the time out of my life to meet this person and hear their story...


No comments:

Post a Comment